Advent Blog – Day 3
So my next step is to work out how to break this huge list into more manageable chunks and see when I can possibly get all this done.
(There will be delegation involved)
It’s all in the Timing
The timing is important because although I’d love to do some of the tasks early on (like buying all the presents), I need to clear space in the house first.
So the top items on the list are those where I really need to get a move on otherwise I’ll run out of time and those that will create more room in the house.
And funnily enough just creating the categories made me realise I’d missed some items. I’m sure this will be some kind of mind trick that has a complicated name.
So my list is now in 5 groups:
- Things that need doing soonest – or else I’ll run out of time.
- Things that will create more room in the house
- Things to check – in case I need to buy
- Fun things
- Things that can be left until later (but preferably before the guests arrive this year)
Categories Makes it Look Easier
Things that need doing soonest – or else I’ll run out of time.
- Buy a new sofabed
- Buy all the presents
- Buy the new armchair for the lounge (we’re going to replace the old one so it seems a good idea to have 2 over Christmas)
- Make sure those urgent odd jobs are finished
- Find somewhere to store the presents until Christmas eve
- Start recording some TV films so we have things for everyone to watch
Things to check – in case I need to buy
- Make sure I have enough pillows, duvets & blankets for everyone
- Clear room in the fridge & freezer
- Make sure there is room to hang towels and bathrobes, etc.
- Plan a surface for guests to place their suitcase
Things that will create more room in the house
- Clear away any clutter from previous decluttering exercises
- Get my kids to sort through their things and see what can be given away
- Put stuff on ebay to sell
- Create room in the lounge to put up the Christmas tree
- Clear space in the kitchen to store extra cutlery, china, deserts etc.
- Cook my Christmas puddings
- Put up the Christmas decorations
Things that can be left until later
- Create space in the entrance hall for extra costs & shoes
- Plan the meals
- Organise clean towels for everyone
- Convert 2 sofas into beds
- Clear some wardrobe space for guests (my husband needs to move his sports gear)
- Expand the dining table and make sure we have enough chairs
- Get extra cutlery & china out so we have plenty
So the tip I discovered for today is that categorising a list helps you to make a more complete list.
Today is the day before Christmas so time to relax and enjoy the results of my efforts.
One of my last jobs is preparing the Christmas Pudding. You might be wondering if this has any relation to a small-ish house.
Today all the guests arrive so it’s now time to make up the beds.